This is how I draw most of my characters. Mostly by shapes like circles and triangles using line of action/motion to guide what i want my character doing, or expressing how they feel.
so here we go! (sorry if i repeat myself)
FROM TOP LEFT TO RIGHT TO BOTTOM LEFT TO RIGHT.
1. Draw a circle. in the middle of the circle you are going to use two lines. These lines are guides that will help where he/she is going to look at at where the middle of the face will be! The middle curved line going from the top of the circle down to the bottom will always be the first one drawn. This helps me decide which way my character will be facing, if his/her head is tilted to the side, or even a side view of the character.
2. The second line on the first circle will help me indicate if his/her head is tilted up or down. Now in this drawing Shadows head is tilted just SLIGHTLY downward. So much you wouldnt really tell the difference just by glancing at him. This line also helps me figure out where I am going to put his muzzle. Where the two lines meet will be the middle of the face.
3. The muzzle. This is his mouth! -.- you knew that right? right! See that little curve near the middle of his face that looks like a hill? Thats where his nose will be! Sonic characters have a hill where the middle of their face will be. See how having those first two lines come in handy? Yeah. Alright so at the bottom of that hill you're going to do a nice curve upward till you meet juuuust a little bit outside of the circle on both sides of that muzzle/hill. Follow outside of the circle till the two ends meet. There!
4. Alright now lets put in his eyes. Now shadows eyes are always smooth. Unlike sonic's who can go in alot of different ways of expression... well shadow's personality stays.... sort of the same most the tim-*ehem* anyways! Just above your hill on the face that you made you'll put two more curves moving upward. And since shadows eyes are not rounded youll immediately come back downward with another curve till you touch his muzzle again. Same with the other side of his eye. Go ahead and give him his stripe that rests on his forehead by starting at the beginning of the top of the circle.
5. You will use two oval shapes for his eyes. Another smaller oval for his pupils, and another for the reflection in his eyes. Two triangles will be used for his ears. Ive decided to tilt one downward because he isnt very happy in the situation he is in right now. For his nose you make a curvy sideways teardrop. And for his neck you make a slightly curved line going downward, with two little lines comming out for the beginning of his shoulders. Go ahead and make his mouth however you like. Now at the very top of his head where you put that stripe? Well give it a little curve outside of it just where his stripe begins on one-side and ends on the other. Look closely for what im talking about.
6. Now for his spikes and chestfur! I like to start with his bottom spikes first. Long outward swoops and curves with a immidiate downward angle will do nicely for you. Make sure to come back in to meet his neck or shoulders depending on how big you want his spikes. The upper spikes are the same, and dont forget to put in his red stripe on those spikes as well. Then, two triangles will go inside of his ears! There we go! almost done! last but not least give him that fuzzy chest hair! i like to make it go wild sometimes cause its funny lol. alright! Youre done!! color it if you'd like and comment below with a link of how you did! ^^
i hope you had fun! dont forget to comment below with a link on how you did! (if you want to)
Remember, practice practice practice. It took me a long time to get to where i am at today. and im still learning! thanks for reading!